Most foreigners feel so cut off from mainstream America that they’ve stopped trying to integrate. All of a sudden everything becomes methodical. People will see you on the bus and ask “How are you doing these days” You’ll answer ‘good”. But even as you blurted out those words you know deep down that you’re not fine. You know that in your heart of hearts you’re hurting slowly and painfully because you miss home. Jim Reeves is one of my favorite musicians. He reminds me of my Dad and my childhood. If he (Jim) were alive he’ll probably call this “Silent suffering”.
Combine this with the international hustling code (IHC): broke, hungry and lonely and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Color me morally bankrupt but suffice to say that for those in long distance or cross boarder relationships the situation is even gloomier. Zimbabwean author Hope Keshubi says it much better: “the natural feelings that manifest themselves when woman and man really need each other, these feelings are difficult to keep (p.56). Nuff said.
Folks, it’s a sad thing in life when you’ve worked so hard and want to unwind and there’s no one or nowhere to turn to. Like I once wrote elsewhere, if this were an exercise in English summary—as we used to have in junior secondary school—here’s what I’ll say of our lives: no family, no money, and no pleasure. What else could be more depressing? I mean for all the days of my life in Ghana, for all the poverty we experienced, I cannot remember a single day when I got so hungry that there wasn’t even a semblance of food to eat. It was on days like this that I learned to appreciate my Mum most.
Because as a single parent, it’s still unconceivable to me how she managed to keep a family of three rascals (plus some cousins and nieces) not only fully fed but well catered for all the time. It may surprise you but the first time I went to bed desperately hungry not out of choice but due to circumstance was not in Accra but yankee. Believe it or not: it is in America, the land of plenty that I’m most wanting. In fact this will be amusing if it wasn’t so pathetic.
But the one thing I find most pitiable about life away from home is the case of people who cannot return to bid goodbye to say a dead relative. Or those who come here alive but go back in coffins. It happened to my friend whose name I’m not sure I should be mentioning. This is not my favorite topic but the reality is that these things happen. Can you imagine being so far away from your family and always looking forward to being with them only to hear that someone within has passed away?
What if that person is your parent or a very close relative? Then the heart wrenching part: what if you can’t go back to say that final goodbye? This has got to be one of the most miserable things that can happen to anyone. Yet, it happened to Regina Tetteh. It also happened to Ms Kakraba. That woman will never forget the dreadful phone call which announced the death of both parents in a car accident. Why do people have to go through things like this? How do they handle such calamities at all?
Life can be good some times, but other time’s it can be painful. Here’s my confession: before I came over, I used to think that life must be a bed or roses in the US. We used to think: “things are so tough down here; it shouldn’t that hard out there”. Well, not quite. The lesson here is that the grass isn’t always greener at the other side of the fence. Of course I’m grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had both domestic and international.
But two things need to be understood. First, it’s not all hearts and flowers. Secondly, if the relationship with your homeland is a romanticized one then its worth citing Mpe again—“separation is not the end of love”. While America offers wonderful opportunities, make no mistake, it can be as dire as it can be nightmarish. This might not be everyone’s experience, but there’s no doubt it is for others.
preach on bro...i think you hit the nail on the head...all you can do is keep pushing on...keep in mind your being here is a source of inspiration to your fellow colleagues at home to want more out of life, instead of settling for the norm.
ReplyDeletenice writing is nice also you can check mine...
ReplyDeleteofferofmylife.blogspot.com
Thanks my freind omopapa! You know we got to encourage ourselves day by day. I will remember what you told me. Hopefully our deepest desires/wishes will come true. Someday.
ReplyDelete@ Tugay, thank you...and i will make sure to check out your blog too!
ReplyDeleteEtse! That's a wonderful piece of writing, I must confess. The other day, I woke up in the morning missing my family and Ghana so much so that I nearly wept. It took a severe toll on my mood at work all day. For productivity, only heavens know how I did. I asked myself this simple question: "Is this the good life I had heard about?.” For many in Ghana and around the world, it's all milk and honey here. A couple of months ago, I intimated to my brother I wanted to take a break from the day-to-day drudgery of "Yankey life". To my surprise, he outrightly rejected the idea. When friends see pictures of "us" on social networking sites like "Facebook", "Hi5", etc., they spring a simple conclusion together: "They are really chilling". A few Fridays ago, my "girlfriend" was working, and I was feeling quite lonely. I decided, therefore, to go to one of the bars a stone's throw from my house. I strutted to the bar like the most confident guy on the planet. Beneath, I knew I was hopeless, and sad. I needed to put on that facade, which is the case here, most often. The bar was full of “white” people. With no one looking like me, I was confused and didn't know what to do. Should I just leave or grab a drink? I mustered confidence, ordered a bottle of “Guinness” and looked around to see who was in the same situation. Luckily, there was a cute blond girl seated in a corner. I walked straight to her and started a conversation. True to the age-old saying, "faint heart never won a fair lady". Hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteMe: "Hello, my name is McCleans. Call me Mac, if you want".
Blond girl: "Hi, my name is Amelia"
Me: "Wow, that's a nice name. Only Queens like you can have such a name"
Blond girl: "Thank you".
Me: "Do you mind me taking a seat here?"
Blond girl: "Not at all".
So, our conversations went pretty well. She asked me where I was from, what I thought about the United States, etc. One striking thing was that, there were a lot of people in the bar that were in the same soup. Our convo revolved around things from politics to sports. There seem to be so many people in this country, but most are very lonely. It goes without saying that there are lots of people with emotional problems here. One thing I have come to realize is that nothing trumps happiness, family, and friends. America offers copious amounts of opportunities, but they don’t come on a silver platter, but at exorbitant prices.
hahaha, "the faint heart never won the fair lady indeed Mac. You have lyrics papa, lol. Anyways thanks for sharing your story man. It's a very complex thing my brother. You make very good points. Indeed there are lots and lots of lonely people here. We all try to put up a 'face" but boy o boy, this yankee life no be easy. Yet things are hard back home too. I know it's weird but I think about all this a lot and wonder where the answers @? As someone once said “It’s a hard hard life out here and it's a hard hard life back home too"
ReplyDelete