Friday, June 3, 2011

On being black and international in Iowa

Barack Obama surprised everyone by winning in Iowa, a predominantly White Midwestern town but how does it feel like to actually live in the state? In this radio show, panelists discuss diversity and multiculturalism in Iowa City.

On a personal note, I'll confess that the one thing I had always wanted to be when I was a kid was to become talk show host. I read, listened to and watched anything by Kwaku Sakyi Addo, Paul Adom-Otchere, Cyril Acolatse and Kwaku Sintim Misa. I admired people like Randy Abbey who could host an audience glued to a talk program for over two hours. That man was a total monster. When he hosted Good morning Ghana, he was even better. I also liked Nana Yaa Ofori Atta when she hosted Newsfile. Her piercing voice and no nonsense attitude did not only elicit answers but ensured there was no hiding place for cagey guests. Talking point, Crossfire, Frontpage, Talkshop and Time with David were some of my favorite programs. As you can imagine these are not things you own up to in your teenage years.

At Legon, I did not own a TV and most of the "TV room" sets were tuned to either sitcoms or one reality show or the other. Never had a problem with that--people have different interests--but I'll rather listen to talk. Sounds kind of embarrassing now but there were many days in Legon where I made eager journeys back home so I could watch my mentors do their thing.

In Ghana being a talk show host or journalist was not considered prestigious enough so I never really admitted it to anyone. But that childhood urge never left. This summer I finally embraced myself by applying to and securing a spot on KRUI. Forgive the amateur presentation as I'm not a trained journalist but I've never been this happy doing any job in my life (well apart from teaching and reporting).

No comments:

Post a Comment