
by Etse Sikanku
There are some days when I secretly thank God for C-SPAN. This past Thursday was one of such days as I happened to catch Britain’s presidential debate live on the network. Though such debates are a staple in US politics, I was surprised to learn it was Britain’s first. Makes me wonder what else the English are late with. But to be fair both democracies work quite differently so my amusement might be quite unjustified. Even worse, my familiarity with British politics is highly remote so these thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt.
Still, I was overjoyed to find a presidential debate on TV in an off-season year for us. I refused to engage in any mental debates of my own regarding whether it was the best use of my time. I told myself: “If any slipped through, they will be filibustered no matter the merits.” Woa, now I know how it feels to be a Congressional Republican.
I was also very much interested in seeing at firsthand what the excitement about Nick Clegg was all about. From what I saw I think Cleggmania is actually a euphemism for Obamamania. It’s no secret that the Obama effect has traveled well beyond the boundaries of the United States. America is viewed more favorably around the world because of its young, intelligent and wildly appealing president. Surely, it’s understandable that any country will want an Obama of their kind.
But there’s no reason to force it.
Nick Clegg is no Barack Obama. Yes Clegg is young, fresh and way more appealing than the dour Brown or the stoic Cameron. If you believe McLuhan’s theory that the medium is the message, then the Liberal Democratic candidate is obviously a strong magnet for television viewers. But presidential elections are not reality shows. Obama did more than woo voters with impressionistic or stylistic performances. Nick was so focused on coming off as different that he looked choreographed. I was still waiting for him to hit the home run but all I heard Clegg say during his summary was that “We can do something new, something different” without saying exactly what. Yet there was the British press fawning over the next day: “The Other One Wins,” said the conservative Times (London); “Nick Clegg Seizes His Moment in the TV Spotlight” wrote the liberal Guardian and so on.
These are serious and perhaps dangerous times in both domestic and international politics. The UK needs a steady and experienced hand at the wheel. That hand belongs to Mister Brown. Clegg is not ready to lead though he will be a terrific candidate come the next elections. As for Mister Cameron the fact that he has failed to capitalize on Labour’s “incumbent-fatigue” problem says all about his status as a credible challenger.
The biggest question that remains is whether the Americanization of British politics is good or bad for the country. From one perspective it is good if only for the purpose of open, direct and plain-leveled politics where each candidate competes on equal grounding. However from another perspective, I fear that the grand strategizing, pre-screened sound-bites and the desire for glamor that produced a certain Sarah Palin might be the coup de grace for British’s parliamentary democracy. What do you think? What's your take on Britain's latest infatuation with American style politics?
excellent article Etse. as a friend of mine once said, Britain truly is "America's deadbeat older brother"
ReplyDeleteThanks DK...& o, luv that quote!
ReplyDeleteI like your blog
ReplyDeleteI'm Brazilian artist
my blog
WWW.AARTEDENEWTONAVELINO.BLOGSPOT.COM
I hope you enjoy and spread the world