Thursday, April 29, 2010

WoO: UEFA must show fairness by disciplining Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes



“It was the sweetest 1-0 defeat of my life." Coach Jose Mourinho on edging Barcelona out of the Champions League.


The footballing world, except the USA of course, witnessed one of the greatest semi-final events of any competition yesterday: Barcelona vs Inter Milan.

By now the details of that victory have been dissected far and wide. However I’m still wondering whether UEFA is going to punish Barca keeper, Valdes, for his obnoxious strangling of Mourinho after the match.

I’m not an Inter fan. Neither is Jose Mourinho my hero. But I’m I the only one wondering if a certain Didier Drogba or another black player had committed the same offence UEFA would have been quick in issuing one form of suspension or the other?

Also I don’t see why people are complaining about Motta being sent off. No player should shove their fingers into another’s face. But if Motta’s carelessness merited punishment so did Busquet’s trickery.

Barcelona are a fine footballing team and I will not go as far as writing them off. But if there was any night that Mourinho was deserving of the name “special” it was yesterday. Little surprise that he called it the sweetest loss of his career.

Here’s a video of Valdes’ embarrassing act for those who missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment