Out of all the frames emerging from Gbagbo’s capture/surrender, the most ridiculous is the one seeking to infer western culpability. At best this theme is one that castigates French forces for their treatment of Laurent Gbagbo and his wife. At worst, some who invoke this theme do so only because in the puritanical halls of the third world, it is not only scholarly to rely on anti-western tropes but patently sexy too.
Looking inward has never been the African way. To me this sounds somewhat paradoxical especially for a continent rich with a culture that constantly reminds people to engage in self examination. In Ghana’s local Twi dialect for instance we often say “s3 aboa bi b3ka woa na efri wo ntoma mu” which means “an animal/insect that bites your skin is most likely to be found in your clothes”For all those still caught up in the high-minded syllogisms of yesteryear, I have news for you. Colonialism is dead. Ant-colonialism is not sexy and neo-colonialism is no hotter. Sure, France might have its own nationalistic interests in Ivory Coast but which country doesn’t? Isn’t that what statehood is all about? No government that cannot identify its dominant national and international policy interests deserves its mandate. Pursuing these goals to the detriment of another state should however not be condoned.
In Ivory Coasts’ conundrum, I argue that the immediate interest of French forces and pro-Ouattara supporters was more similar than divergent. That is, to dethrone the recalcitrant Gbagbo from power.
Why the hue and cry?
Was it western forces that injected Gbagbo with power drunkenness? Was it some western bug that bit him into stubbornness? Which western force made the former history professor cancel elections that were deemed credible by locals and the wider international community? Maybe I missed some aspects of the narrative but I would like to know the western agents that made an African president hide in the bunker of his own building. Perhaps that ruler doesn’t even deserve his position to begin with.
That said all accusations of rights abuse and maltreatment should be fully addressed. I’m not a student of international conflict but I believe even in combat there are rules of engagement. Ever since Boigny died, La Cote d’Ivoire has been on a roller coaster. When people say Ghana’s western neighbor—in peace time—symbolizes African potential, they’re not exaggerating. For the sake of all the people— men, women and children and for the continent’s larger good, I hope Abidjan rises again.
Interesting piece. You seem to be rationalizing French involvement in Ivory Coast because it was ostensibly in France's national interest. I don't disagree, but I cannot bring myself to see how this is not neo-colonialism - an extension of European dominance in African affairs. I find it very disappointing that 50 plus years after independence, France still has a military base in all their former west African colonies except Mali and Guinea. What do these two have in common? An affinity for Kwame Nkrumah. When Nkrumah was preaching pan-Africanism in the 1960s, pro-western men like Houphet Boigny sabotaged him. Boigny, with France's backing, masterminded the assassination of Thomas Sankara. Are you saying this isn't France remotely ruling their former colonies? The CFA franc (which France uses to control the economies of their former colonies) which has been a major stumbling block in creating a single west African currency? CEAO (whose policies are dictated from Paris) which is another subregional grouping made of the Francophone west African nations and which has been a main obstacle to ECOWAS becoming a successful free trade area? These people prefer to give trade concessions to France rather than Nigeria or Ghana because France tells them to do so. You're saying it's OK for France to do so 'cus it's in their interest? Seriously? Why should France be so intimately involved in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation? I have absolutely no sympathy for Gbagbo. But what concerns me is France. You claim France didn't make Gbagbo a tryrant but during the civil war, New forces rebels marched on Abidjan almost capturing it. It was French special forces that repelled their advance back north. My point is our Francophone neighbors themselves are to blame for allowing France to do this to them, right from the beginning - by allowing France to impose puppets like Boigny on them. The moron spent billions building that stupid basilica in his hometown Yamoussoukro when more than half of his citizens were living in poverty. They should have rebelled against such puppets. I commend Abdulaye Wade for trying to negotiate a withdrawal of France's military base in Dakar. I suggest Ouattara and the rest do the same. I unequivocally condemn the shameful memory of Boigny - he is the one that has brought this on Ivory Coast. This is his reckoning. His name shall be synonymous with traitors, like Mobutu and Bokassa. I also use this opportunity to pay glowing tribute to Capt. Thomas Sankara for his pioneering leadership style and for transforming Burkina Faso. Neo-colonialism isn't sexy to talk about. It's painful and heartbreaking. It's a grim reality facing many African nations. And what happened in Ivory Coast, regardless of the outcome was neo-colonialism. And just as Boigny's treachery haunts them today, involvement with France will continue to haunt them till they drive them away.
ReplyDeleteFor neo-colonialism to work there must be some form of acquiescence. France's high handed dealings are there for all to see. While we can huff and puff we cannot control any one’s actions but ours. You find it disappointing that France still has major stakes in countries like Guinea and Mali. Fair enough. I find it disgraceful that those two countries will allow that happen. On the broad issue of hegemony and western imperialism, I agree with you. I just think that debate is a boring and tired narrative of an excuse. In making reference to Boigny I was only stating a historical fact. You're entitled to your opinions about him and Sankara. I'm sure you'll find more than enough people who agree with you. My main concern is that while pontificating against the west we should not forget the mean-spirited and dangerous actions of our very own leaders which have always been part of Africa’s problems. Thanks for commenting anonymous; I did enjoy reading from you.
ReplyDelete